After several months of behind the scenes work two ISO’s of a brand new project “AV Linux MX Edition” have been released! With 32bit XFCE4/Openbox and 64bit XFCE4 versions this new project is based on MX Linux 19.3 ‘Patito Feo’. The MX development team is aware of this project and have kindly provided assistance and a warm welcome but it is important to note that this project is an unofficial Respin and at the current time not under the umbrella of the antiX/MX projects. MX is the new home base of AV Linux and I’m very excited about combining the phenomenal tools and utilities of MX with the well-known Content Creation focus that has defined AV Linux since 2008. Users of the current Debian Buster based AV Linux can continue to enjoy repository updates and work with AV Linux as long as they are comfortable but all future development will be going into the AV Linux MX Edition (AVL-MXE) version from now on. I’m only one little fella in a great big world and there are never enough hours in the day!
Highlights of this Release:
- Kernel 5.9.1-rt19 (32bit) and Kernel 5.9.1-rt20 (64bit).
- These kernels include the Bluetooth stack security fix.
- XFCE4 with Openbox in the 32bit version.
- Full XFCE4 Desktop in the 64bit version.
- Greatly expanded AVL-MXE Assistant
- New custom “Diehard” and “Earth” Themes.
- Updated AVL-MXE User Manual.
- Ardour 6.5 DAW (full version) with new VST3 support!
- Harrison Mixbus 6.2.26 DAW (demo version) with new VST3 support!
- Harrison AVA Plugin Demos *may not work with all openGL setups.
- Reaper (demo version) makes it’s native Linux debut on AVL-MXE!
- Hundreds of included top-shelf FLOSS Audio plugins… too many to list!
- Odin2 and Surge synths join the list!
- Demo Audio plugin versions (including VST3 versions!)
- Demos: ACM, Audio Assault, Auburn Sounds, Cut Through, OverTone
- One-click removal of all Demoware.
- Full Wine-staging setup with LinVst 3.1.5 files pre-configured.
- Video Editor heaven with Avidemux, Cin, Kdenlive and Olive!
- Graphics heaven with Blender, GIMP, Inkscape and Shotwell!
- 10000 things I forgot to mention… Just boot it and see for yourself!
An in-depth overview Release Video:
*IMPORTANT! – Username and Password are ‘demo’ Root Password is ‘root’. The 32bit version of AVL-MXE uses the SliM Login Manager and requires Manual login. The 64bit version will Auto login and uses lightDM. The full RT Preempt Kernel in AVL-MXE doesn’t not work well with recent versions of Virtualbox, it is discouraged to use AVL-MXE virtualized!
Visit the AVL-MXE webpage for more info and Download Mirrors… AVL-MXE takes a tremendous amount of time to put together, test, document and maintain. You are getting a completely operational Workstation for free but my hosting is not free. Please consider visiting the PayPal button on the AVL-MXE webpage or make a donation to MX Linux in support of their great work!
OK, get it here!
7 thoughts on “AV Linux MX Edition is here!”
Great to see this come to fruition Glen, looking forward to taking the 64-bit version for a spin. Hoping you’ve got OBS Studio included, want to see how it performs with a RT kernel when all the filters are in action.
To get a list of all the apps loaded without including dependencies and excluding most libraries, you can issue the command
sudo apt-mark showmanual > alvme-primaryapps.list
This would make it easier to hand-edit out the unimportant items and focus on the good stuff.
This is looking awesome. Didn’t know it should be released now. Last time I heard firts quarter of 2021. Well, I’m glad/happy that’s already here and I’m gonna install it and give it a spin.
Thanks alot for all your work and this awesome looking release.
Greetings from Sweden 🙂
Thanks so much for your sound advice, Whatever I may know about multimedia stuff I have volumes to learn about Sysadmin things.. Thanks especially for those base MX Respins!
OBS is there, it will be interesting to see if there is a discernible difference. The benefits of RT Preempt seem very dependent on the system Hardware and setup..
I am very curious to see what it looks like. still working on version 2019
Fantastic work! As a minor quibble, may I suggest that the manual PDF have white background for everything but the title page? It’s really difficult to read (and as an aside it’s slow-loading because of the background).
This is going to become my audio distro in short order!
For some strange reason my computer doesn’t like certain distros. Don’t know why. Do you happend to know the difference between Ubuntu Studio 20.04 and AV MX Linux Edition? I ask becauce UB 20.04 works but AV Linux doesn’t. My computer keeps rebooting without any reason but not UB 20.04. I don’t find any crash-log to look at. I don’t know where to start looking. This is very strange. I tried several other distros and they behave almost the same way…reboot now and the. Two days ago I installed UB 20.04 and not a single reboot…so far 🙂
You seems to know alot about linux stuff so I give it a try.
Lenovo IDEACENTRE (All-In-One) 23″
16GB RAM and 256GB SSD HDD
2 Extra HDD at total of 1.5TB
Dual Core i5-7200U
Intel HD Graphics 620
Behringer U-PHORIA UMC22
Thanks alot for outstanding distro release.
Comments are closed.